Winter Solstice 2020 Brings Miracles and Mending
Winter Solstice is an ancient celebration symbolizing change and growth. Before there were modern ways of gauging time, people depended on light to organize their lives. Their productivity and rest flowed with the sun. When there was sunlight, they were productive; when darkness arrived, they would rest.
Winter Solstice is the darkest day of the year, but don’t let this discourage you. I have learned to love the darkness and its rejuvenating qualities. The winter months bring restful energy that’s hard to duplicate when the sun is strong and bright. I align myself with this call of nature as a way to balance my productivity. I listen closely to the vital energy of my body, heart, and spirit.
Every day after Winter Solstice brings more and more light, until Summer Solstice on June 21. Take full advantage of these healing, restful days of winter, because before you know it the bright days of summer will arrive.
After Winter Solstice, I’ll celebrate the full moon, I can feel it coming. Sometimes astrological energy can feel unorganized and mischievous. It can disrupt your sleep, affect your body, and heighten your emotions. But rather than simply reacting, experience the messages that come through these sensations. Don’t resist nature’s cues, as they are the most authentic instructions we have in life.
Your daily practice supports inward focus and inspires a deeper connection to nature and the world around you. Listen deeply, go beyond surface reactions, and trust your ability to ask questions that hold a deep knowledge of your experiences. This is one of the many gifts that a dedicated practice will give you.
This Winter Solstice practice is a great place to start. It will support awareness in your body, breath, and mind. A 40-day practice, done every day, will help you lay a foundation for continued health and happiness. New supportive habits will become a part of who you are and bring vitality to your life.
Now is the perfect time to set a realistic goal of self-care. Make a date with yourself and stick with it every day for 40 days. Watch your life open up and shift in deeply personal ways.
Safe Haven Meditation
Think of it as a hopeful starting point, a place you can return to when your healing path becomes challenging and less clear. When we have security—through the love of another person, a physical location, or a place in our mind that soothes us—we have a valuable tool to move ahead and meet whatever challenges appear.
You may have a reference point for safety and security that you can build on (for me it is a wooded knoll on Cape Cod that overlooks the bay), or you may need to spend time creating one. Be patient—it will come, and when it does, it will help you to create a foundation for the work ahead. You might try picking up a magazine and flipping through the pages. Notice how various pictures make you feel. When you find a picture that makes you feel at home, happy, and peaceful, remember it and use it for this practice.
To do the practice:
- Find a quiet place in your home. Sit on a chair or a supported seat on the floor. (If you are on a chair, make sure your feet can touch the ground.)
- Lengthen your spine and take three deep breaths.
- Visualize your breath coming in from the ground below you.
- Feel yourself drink in the energy of the earth through your feet. (If you are on the ground, feel this same energy come through all parts of your body that touch the ground.)
- Now close your eyes and visualize in your mind’s eye a place that brings you comfort.
- With your eyes closed, pay attention to the details of your safe haven. Allow this experience to be all yours. Let your imagination grow your safe haven’s beauty and blanket yourself in it.
- The color of the sky
- The temperature of the air
- How you feel physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually
- The vibrancy of the foliage around you. Are there trees, plants, and flowers nearby? What color are they? Do they have a fragrance? Are there birds, butterflies, dragonflies, or any other animals with you? What else is there?
When you have established this place in your mind, you will be able to rely on it no matter where you are or what’s going on around you. It will be there for you whenever you need it.
My work views all the elements of being a human—the physical, emotional, and mental—as deeply intertwined… It is from this whole-person perspective that we can best identify the underlying causes of our struggles and empower ourselves to heal. There are many ways I can help you no matter where you are on your life’s path. Let’s start with my books and the membership program.
The Tribe Inside~A Self Healers’ Circle: https://sarahbrassard.com/tribe-inside/
Inside~ A Guide to the Resources Within, here: https://amzn.to/2ViV1Nw
The companion journal to Inside here: https://amzn.to/2xZdAP0
Learn more here: https://sarahbrassard.com/