Sweet Beet, Fennel & Orange Salad with Dates & Almonds
The reinvented summer salad that gets better as you leave it.
Perfect for picnics and for those avoiding soggy salads. This is also great as a filling to freshly baked bread buns for something even more portable.
(GF, DF, VGN)
- 6 small beets
- 4 medium oranges
- 2 baby fennel
- ½ cup almonds, coarsely chopped
- 4 Medjool dates pitted and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped mint
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon for sprinkling
- Freshly squeezed juice from 1 orange
- Freshly squeezed juice from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons macadamia oil
- Peel beets and thinly slice into rounds using a mandolin.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the skin off the orange, remove the thin layer of pith. Cut out the segments, place in a small bowl and squeeze out any juice remaining in the skin.
- Trim the end and tips off the fennel. Using a mandolin thinly shave from the base to the top.
- To make the orange dressing, strain the orange and lemon juice into a small saucepan. Add the maple syrup and gently simmer over low heat until syrupy and reduced by half. Transfer into a small bowl. Gradually pour in the oil, whisk to emulsify.
- Arrange beets, fennel, and orange on the serving plates or combine in a large salad bowl. Drizzle with dressing and scatter with almonds and dates. Sprinkle with mint and cinnamon to serve.