This month we focused on soothing the Five Senses and the infinite healing benefits available to us through this practice. http://sarahbrassard.com/self-care-for-the-five-senses/
Touch is something that heals us in extraordinary ways. It allows us to feel and appreciate the vehicle of our lives, the body. Self-massage is an opportunity to bring this potent healing into everyday life. It informs us about the many conditions that we interact with every day and the effects that these circumstances have on our lives. A simple practice of daily massage can help dissolve accumulated stress and toxins and draws us inside so we can notice where it is that we hold tension and resistance.
When we surrender our sensations and soothe ourselves with touch, we open and balance channels of energy that support our body, mind, heart, and spirit. Take another step closer to yourself, become empowered by your ability to heal YOU.
Self -Massage Method:
Self Massage is a ritual I practice at the end of the day. It helps me let go of the busyness of my time and take advantage of the healing benefits of a good night’s sleep.
- Start with an organic oil (Sesame or Almond) Fill up your sink with hot water and warm the oil.
- Get into a shower and feel the warmth of the water melt your busy day away.
- Get out and lightly dry yourself. Leave enough moisture on your body to absorb the oil.
- Place oil in the palm of your hand and when the temperature of the oil is comfortable for you, begin the massage.
- I start sitting down, rubbing my feet and legs and work my way up to my abdomen, chest, shoulders, arms, hands, neck, face, scalp. I reapply oil as needed using circular motions over rounded areas, joints, belly, scalp and long strokes over arms, legs, and neck and shoulders.
- Have an old pair of pajamas or a comfy outfit to jump into after the massage and stay in the oil while you rest and sleep.
- Allow the oil time to penetrate your system and melt away the tension in your body. Notice all the benefits this practice brings to your life. Do it every day or as often as possible. Self-massage will help you get more in tune with how your body responds to your life and offer you a tool to help heal it.
Image via http://blog.burdgecooper.com/author/don/